Reed's holiday offering is titled "A Jew's First Christmas":
I’ve never been a big believer in the well-intentioned but misguided attempts to equate Christmas and Chanukah. Christmas is a major Christian holiday whereas Chanukah isn’t a very important holiday at all. Let’s face it, the birth of the son of God vs. some oil that lasted eight days instead of one or two is a big mismatch. Passover and Easter are a much better pairing. That’s not to say I wasn’t envious of my Catholic friends—not many Protestants back in my old Brooklyn neighborhood—at Christmas. Sure, I wanted all those presents too, and a tree, but those weren’t the things I was most jealous of. Even back then, it was the spirit of the season I craved. Somehow, the spirit I saw on display in movies, on TV, in commercials, and print ads always eluded me.
Then, when I was eighteen and a freshman at Brooklyn College, I began dating a woman named Margaret whom I’d met at a summer job. She came from a big Catholic family and though I can’t imagine I was the dream match for their daughter, her parents and family made me a part of their Christmas preparations. I had no idea how early you had to start shopping and getting ready for the holiday. For the first time I saw it really wasn’t about the gifts, but about getting the right gifts to show you cared. Gifts were more than the things themselves. They were meant to be symbolic. I really got into it. I went to midnight mass with Margaret and got a better understanding of the beauty of the rituals of the Catholic faith. I did the whole unwrapping gifts thing on Christmas morning. But the thing I will never ever forget is that Margaret’s parents gave me a jade chai—a combination of two Hebrew letters that symbolize life and good fortune. Apparently, that Christmas had been as important to them as it had been to me.
I have since lost that chai, but never the gift of receiving it.
Favorite Charity: The March of Dimes (originally founded to fight polio and now fighting to prevent birth defects and infant mortality).


No comments:
Post a Comment